Sunday, June 20, 2010

Writing...

Woohoo!

First draft = done. Was it really that bad? No. Maybe. I sent it to my adviser, who will likely want me to make a fair number of changes. It's possible that it needs to be completely revised, but I don't think it was a particularly poorly written first draft. The problem I experience when writing is that I can't get started. I'm secretly more of an editor than a writer. As a result, everything I write has to get past a quality check. An extensive quality check. But by setting the bar high like that, nothing ever gets written.

This time, it was different. As a way of forcing myself to start writing, I wrote a version I promised myself no-one (but me) would ever get to read. It did the trick. Apparently writing is less intimidating if I know I'll be the only one who will read the piece of crap. It's okay if it's bad, I won't tell anyone.

It turned out to be less crappy than I thought it would be. Surely there were some spots that were unclear and that needed revision. But overall, it wasn't too-too bad. And I actually enjoyed being a *real* editor of my own work.

I think I just found a way to save myself LOTS of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment